– 96 Size one or Newborn Diapers
– Cake “Topper” of some kind
Baby Stacking Toy
Baby Bath Toy
– 3 yards of ribbon to go around each layer
OR 1 yard of fabric from a fabric store
– 1 yard of ribbon to tie around bottom layer – in coordinating color
– Sewing Pins (approx 12 to leave in cake)
If using fabric, you will also need to have pins to pin strips of fabric for ironing + Approx. 9 pins to secure fabric to diaper layers.
– Rubber bands –
- For a 3 layer cake, the top layer will have 16 diapers, the middle layer will have 32 diapers, and the bottom layer will have 48 diapers. It is okay to vary the numbers slightly, but the 3x, 2x, 1x proportion is important to keep the structure “layer cake” like.
- Start with the top layer, it will be the easiest. Lay the diapers out overlapping on each other.
The first diaper should be rolled up and laid on top of the second diaper. Then, roll the diapers up and keep secure with a medium sized rubber band.
3. For the middle layer, use the same technique. Roll the middle diaper and then lay the diaper on top of overlapped diapers, and roll. Stop and secure the roll with a rubber band if needed. Secure with medium sized rubber band.
4. For the bottom layer, also, use the same technique. Roll the middle diaper and then lay the diaper on top of overlapped diapers, and roll. Stop and secure the roll with a rubber band if needed.
For the final diapers of this layer, you may need to insert them by hand inside of the large size rubber band.
- Once the three layers are assembled, you will need something to go around each layer to cover up the rubber bands. You will either need 3 yards of ribbon or 1 yard of fabric from a bolt of fabric.
- If using fabric, identify on the fabric 3 “chunks” about 2 inches wide and cut strips of fabric leaving enough room to pin a “hem”.
- Pin the hem over as to create a ribbon of fabric. Iron in place.
C. If using ribbon, simply cut the ribbon in appropriate lengths in order to pin the ribbon in back.
6. Once the fabric is ironed and the ribbon is cut, you may now wrap each layer and pin it in the back of the layer. Make sure the diapers are going the same direction so the cake looks uniform when complete.
- Take the coordinating ribbon and tie it around the bottom layer with a bow in the front.
- The layers are not attached together so the diapers are more easily used by the new mother. The topper on the cake can just sit on top, or if necessary, it can be secured with pins.
Ideas for Addition to Layers:
Bibs, Baby Lotions, Baby Soaps, Onesies